3 Distinct Areas of the AcuRite Notos Are Covered
All digital weather stations need to be looked at in three broad information categories. I will cover all 3 areas with this review of the AcuRite Notos (3-in-1) 00589 Pro Color Weather Station.
Here is what I will cover in this complete personal home weather station.
This review is done through the eyes of a personal weather station owner, and I have completed 35 reviews of different weather stations in the past on this site.
AcuRite is one of my favorite companies to review indoor outdoor weather stations.
I have covered the following manufacturers with past weather station reviews
- Davis Instruments
- La Crosse
The areas I will cover are what the display unit looks like and what the AcuRite Notos (3-in-1) 00589 Pro Color Weather Station includes in its sensor unit.
Then I will also cover details that you can use to decide whether this wi-fi home weather station is for you.
Take a Look at the AcuRite Notos (3-in-1) 00589 Pro Color Weather Station Display
As you may observe, this display has the following icons. This will be what you will receive for weather sensor information.
The Display Described
- As you look at it from the upper left-hand corner, following these readings will be part of your remote monitoring measurements.
- The outdoor temperature and the relative humidity. Then you have featured the current wind speed, the past 30 minutes low wind speed, average wind speed, and the peak wind gust that was measured.
- After that on the top row, you have the indoor temperature and the indoor relative humidity.
In the very center, you have the current date and time.
- In the bottom row, you then have the current wind chill featured as well as the smart-weather forecasts current forecast for the next 18 hours, as well as the last 12 hours temperatures, graphed out for you.
Time Zones the display will work in are
HAST, AKST, EST, PST, MST, CST, EST, AST
Please note these weather readings will work in North America and Central America. Probably not as well in South America, Australia, etc.
AcuRite does not support the equipment for use outside of North America.
Some Miscellaneous things (details) that might interest you.
The specifications for the display unit may be found by going here
You can download the manual and read all of the specs for the display unit. The display is powered with a
5V power adapter which is included; electric power is recommended to take full advantage of the full-color display.
Please note the display unit will also run on 3 AAA alkaline batteries. If you use batteries they are not included with the Notos 3-in-1 sale.
The display unit measures 7.5-inches Height x 3.6-inches Width x 1.6-inches Depth, this will help you find a great place to use.
You will need to remember that the display works best when viewed straight on, not at an angle.
What About The Outside Sensor Unit
So now we come to the heart and soul of a personal pro color weather station the weather instruments. This is what collects all of your data that is then sent up to 330 feet inside to your AcuRite Notos (3-in-1) 00589 Pro Color Weather Station display.
If you like to stay up on all of your local weather information as I do, then nothing more local than the weather in your own backyard.
The Acurite Notos (3-in-1) 00589 pro color weather station comes equipped to provide the following weather information to you.
- The temperature will be read from -40ºF to 158ºF; -40ºC to 70ºC.
It will send the relative humidity to you using any outdoor readings from 1% to 99%.
The wind speed will be calculated from its anemometer in the 0 to 99 mph range; 0 to 159 kph
These are what is being generated from the 3-in-1 weather instruments you just purchased.
The AcuRite Sensor Array is powered by using 4 AA alkaline or Lithium batteries. I personally would recommend using Lithium batteries.
They are proven to consistently work much longer and better than alkaline batteries. Lithium batteries are built for outside use.
The moisture, heat, and freezing temperatures do not affect their performance.
The wind speed is updated every 18 seconds, and the outside temperature and relative humidity are also updated every 18 seconds.
For all specifics about your weather station's sensor array, you may go to this link and download the specs for yourself
If you have any questions feel free to contact Customer Support at
(877) 221-1252 or visit www.AcuRite.com
Guarantee: There is a limited one-year warranty. it may be read by going here
Arguments For and Against
Pros For The AcuRite Notos (3-in1) 00589 Pro Color Weather Station:
- Keeps track of the peak wind speed for each day
- Its barometric pressure reading can be manually set to correspond to a known value from another calibrated barometer; they track each other to within +/- 0.01 inch-Hg
- You can add another display unit. It will report information to multiple displays in your home. Multiple displays can read data from the same sensor as long as they are all set to the same ABC channel
- The dimming mode on the display unit is very responsive. Can be set up according to a time schedule for you
- The maximum wind speed that this unit can read is 99 mph (159 kph)
- It's compatible with the AcuRite Environment Systems app
- The brightness switch on the display offers a high setting and a low setting. some people find that a medium setting would be much more to their liking, but it doesn't have a medium setting
- Some people have found the wind speed to be inaccurate. Something to be aware of
- Can be wall-mounted but can't be mounted flush on the wall. The battery compartment sticks out and prevents a good wall flush hanging
- The anemometer measures the wind speed, however, it does not record the wind direction for you. Many people find that to be very lacking. They would like for it to tell them where (the direction) the wind is blowing from
I agree, that would drive me cuckoo as well. Wind direction can make a big difference in how you interpret your weather measurements.
Who Would Buy This Weather Station
So in reviewing this weather station I believe if you are new to owning a weather station then this unit will make a great beginner weather station for you.
It is not as simplistic as you can buy, but it has enough plus features to give you a good taste of what it is like to have a weather station.
You will see the advantages after a short period of time.
I find that in the process of searching for a good place to mount the weather station, you will learn much about the how-to mount and where to mount a personal weather station.
Learn more about weather station mounting, What You Should Know About Weather Station Mounting Systems
If you are more advanced in your weather knowledge as well as more advanced in your weather instrument knowledge, you most definitely will find this weather station to be no challenge and maybe even boring.
So avoid this as a purchase.
A Recommended Accessory Item
- AcuRite rain gauge measures up to 5 inches of rainwater
- Numbers are magnified by over 35% for simple, at-a-glance rainfall measurement viewing
- Easy-to-read white numbers and inch markings
- Durable, weather-resistant acrylic construction on this plastic rain gauge
- Integrated hang hole for easy mounting or can be staked into the ground
George is a big fan of the weather. He has enjoyed for years observing all types of weather in several places he has lived. He shares his love by doing reviews of personal weather stations and discussing several key elements that are related to using weather stations.