A Look at the AcuRite 01512 Pro Color Weather Station
As one does more and more inspection of climate stations, they fine that most manufacturers build a series of stations that are very similar to each other. You will also find while they appear very much alike, if you look much closer you can find some very interesting differences.
The AcuRite 01512 Pro Color Weather Station is similar to others we have reviewed but please allow us, to point out to you the additional features this model has for the weather lover in you. We believe you will be intrigued as well as impressed with the 01512 as you read this review.
We were excited about the extra features this model offers you. If you are more than a casual observer of the daily elements, we believe you will be as equally as impressed as we were.
In a Hurry? >>> Get the AcuRite 01512 Weather Station HERE
It is our belief that people such as serious gardeners, small farmers, serious weather hobbyist, and people who love to keep historical data records of daily instruments, will be very interested in this product. Keep reading if this is you, allow us to help you save time guide you in your buying decision.
Type of Instruments
Let’s look at the array of scientific climate instruments the AcuRite 01512 possesses. The 5 in 1 Remote sensor is the home of the following weather instruments
- Thermometer-outdoor & indoor readings
- Anemometer- measures wind speed & direction
- Rain Gauge-self emptying which is a tipping type of gauge. The water is continuously dumped out the bottom of the device as it is measured
- Software is not supplied, but the unit is compatible the the AcuRite Bridge unit, which you can buy as an added item
Instrument sensors on this digital color weather station
Some features of the AcuRite 01520 Remote Sensor
- Solar Cell Panel-Converts sunlight into power to run internal aspirating fan
- Draws ambient air into sensor to reduce solar radiation heating, resulting in more accurate temperature measurement
Table Of Contents
- 1 Type of Instruments
- 2 Instrument sensors on this digital color weather station
- 3 Type of Transmission
- 4 Display
- 5 Acurite 01512 Software
- 6 Manufacturer/Support
- 7 Dimensions
- 8 How Powered
- 9 Accessories
- 10 Pros
- 11 Acurite 01512 Cons
- 12 Consumer Ratings
- 13 Acurite 01512 Price
- 14 Related posts:
- 15 AcuRite 01512 Pro Color Weather Station with Rain, Wind, Temperature, Humidity and Weather Ticker
We are concerned about the solar sensor getting enough energy to operate the fan properly. When placing this remote unit, be aware you need to collect enough sun to operate the aspirating fan, but not too much sun to cause too much heat build up inside the unit.
This could cause the fan to not be able to keep up with keeping the temperature down enough to get a proper temperature reading. We view this as a Catch-22 type situation.
The sensors that are housed in the outdoor unit are the thermometer sensors, the anemometer, the barometric sensor, the rain gauge and the relative humidity sensor.
As you read through our review of the AcuRite 01512, please look for our mention of our other articles that can be used as supplements to this review. Such things as sensor placement are extremely important to successfully using your weather station.
Please remember that it is very important to study out our information on where to set up your location for the remote display. Go here now to take up our suggestions for remote sensor locating, both how and where to do it.
Type of Transmission
- Wireless 433 MHz
- Transmission schedule as the following
- Wind Speed: 18 second updates
- Wind Direction: 36 second updates
- Temperature and Humidity: 36 second updates limits on transmission
This is a list of display provided alert indicators that we really liked. Many of these are not part of lessor expensive models from AcuRite, but are part of this model.
As you can see, these cover a variety of related areas, that any big fan of climate elements would find very useful to them. Being a big fan and an active weather station user, I would find the storm alert indicator to be great, for those busy days where you kind of forget about the weather.
A bad weather storm alert would definitely save your back side. I believe my other favorite, is the rain alert, which can really help you prepare for any possible flooding.
Take A Further Look
For a good insightful look at how the display unit is set up, and some of the common features between this and the AcuRite 01036 go here to read this information. The two models are very similar on many areas.
The Backlighting Feature
The backlighting on the display is a very popular with this model. We love being able to see the display clearly at all angles. The larger size, the brilliant colors and the backlighting make this model a winner. Many high marks to AcuRite for their design. Here is some information for you.
This weather station’s color display features three different lighting settings:
High (100%) brightness, Medium (60%) brightness and Low (30%) brightness.
While it is wonderful to give you these settings, one complaint you need to be aware of, is that the backlighting (at night) can be too bright for some customers. Even set at 30%, it is still very bright for the likeness of some owners.
When only on battery power, the display setting backlite is only on for ten seconds. We don’t believe this isn’t long enough to digest everything displayed to view. Many customer complaints bear this out to be true.
We think you would like for the backlight to be on longer than only ten seconds when you hit the backlight button. We believe this is to conserve battery power when using.
It is our believe as well that reaching for the backlight button every time is a possible irritant to some, and to others, Well they just wouldn’t put up with this at all.
Highlighting the Rainfall Gauge
As I wrote this review I came across this very interesting tid bit, did you know this about the rainfall information collected? Rainfall tracking on the 01512, is done by the remote sensor & display unit in unison. This station also features enhanced tracking of historical rainfall data.
Press the “RAINFALL” button to review rainfall records. The icon is shown
on the display while historical data is being viewed. Records are shown in the following order:
- PREVIOUS RAINFALL #1*
- PREVIOUS RAINFALL #2*
- PREVIOUS RAINFALL #3*
- CURRENT MONTH TOTAL RAINFALL
- PREVIOUS MONTH TOTAL RAINFALL
- 2 MONTHS AGO TOTAL RAINFALL
- CURRENT YEAR TOTAL RAINFALL
- PREVIOUS YEAR TOTAL RAINFALL
- ALL-TIME TOTAL RAINFALL (date shown is start date of the all-time total
The Weather Ticker
A really neat thing about this AcuRite model, is that it has the trade-marked Weather Ticker feature. This is the continuous flow of information that runs along the bottom of your (in home) display unit.
The “Ticker” automatically flashes your real-time weather information
and alerts as text in the lower part of the display screen. Here is the list of messages that can be shown.
- HEAT INDEX-XX
- DEW POINT-XX
- IT FEELS LIKE XX OUTSIDE
- 7 DAY HIGH TEMP. XX- MM/DD
- 7 DAY LOW TEMP. XX- MM/DD
- 30 DAY HIGH TEMP. XX- MM/DD
- 30 DAY LOW TEMP. XX- MM/DD
- ALL TIME HIGH TEMP. XXX…RECORDED MM/DD/YY
- ALL TIME LOW TEMP. XXX…RECORDED MM/DD/YY
- 24 HOUR TEMP. CHANGE +XX
- ALL TIME HIGH WIND XX MPH…RECORDED MM/DD/YY
- 7 DAY AVERAGE WIND XX MPH
- TODAY’S AVERAGE WIND XX MPH
- MOON- NEW
- MOON- WAXING CRESCENT
- MOON- FIRST QUARTER
- MOON- WAXING GIBBOUS
- MOON- FULL
- MOON- WANING GIBBOUS
- MOON- LAST QUARTER
- MOON- WANING CRESCENT
- INDOOR HUMIDITY OK
- INDOOR HUMIDITY HIGH
- INDOOR HUMIDITY LOW
- NEW LOW TEMP. RECORD XX
- NEW HIGH TEMP. RECORD XX
- NEW WIND RECORD TODAY XX
- CURRENT RAINFALL X.XX/HR.
- RAIN EVENT STARTED XX HRS. AGO
- SENSOR BATTERIES LOW
- DISPLAY BATTERIES LOW
- SENSOR SIGNAL LOST…CHECK BATTERIES AND PLACEMENT
- CAUTION- HEAT INDEX IS XXX
- CAUTION- WIND CHILL IS XX
It is my concern that you can’t change any part of this. Say as an example, maybe you don’t want all of this information showing all the time. Can you edit or delete some of the information titles if you don’t want that information? The answer is that you can’t edit the Ticker at all.
Here are the accuracy ratings for the display unit.
Indoor Temperature 32 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit; 0 to 50 degrees Celsius
Temperature Accuracy +/- 2 degrees Fahrenheit
Indoor Humidity Range 1% to 99% Relative Humidity
Wind Direction Indicators 16 points are shown
- +/- 5% from 0% to 10% Relative Humidity
- +/- 4% from 10% to 20% Relative Humidity
- +/- 3% from 20% to 80% Relative Humidity
- +/- 4% from 80% to 90% Relative Humidity
- +/- 5% from 90% to 100% Relative Humidity
Now let’s take a look at the remote sensor and outdoor ratings.
Outdoor temperature range -40 to 158 degrees Fahrenheit; -40 to 70 degrees Celsius
Wind Speed 0 to 99 mph; 0 to 159 kph
Acurite 01512 Software
The software for the AcuRite 01520 will have to be purchased outside of what comes with this station.
The remote sensor transmits data regularly to the display station inside.
That is the extent of software that is involved with this model. Anything else you will need to make an outside purchase.
The AcuRite 09150 AcuLink Internet Bridge is what is recommended to work with your data stream’s transmission to the display unit in your house.
With this AcuLink Internet Bridge you are able to do several things. You can remotely monitor information from your station unit.
- You can follow your data stream anywhere, whether it would be your smart phone, your i-pad or your computer
- Publishes data online from up to 3 compatible AcuRite sensors. These sensors are the sensors on the 01520, that are transmitting the data to you display
- Please note that you are able to purchase other individual (not Included) remote weather sensors from online to use with this bridge
- You can track indoor temperature, outdoor temperature, indoor humidity, outdoor humidity, wind, rain, atmospheric pressure, through the sensors your AcuRite station possesses
- This bridge is connected to the internet and then allows the bridge to talk to either your portable devices via an app or you may access the data through the acurite.com website
Very Important to note that you will need to have an ethernet cable so that you may connect it directly into the internet connection you have. The internet needs to be hooked into the bridge 24/7, this is very important.
You can set up email and text alerts when any changes have activated the alerts on your station’s display.
There isn’t a fee for these bridge provided services. No Monthly fees ever!
Support for AcuRite Products is readily available at the following.
Contact Customer Support:
Regular Phone Hours
Monday–Friday: 7:00am–5:00pm CT
Telephone toll free: 1-877-221-1252
General Questions: +1-877-221-1252
e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Company is:
Chaney Instrument Co.
965 Wells Street
Lake Geneva, WI 53147
8.2” Height x 6.7” Width x 2.7” Depth
10.8” Height x 5.6” Width x 13.8” Depth
Display uses a 4.5V power adapter, which is included in your purchase. Using the power cord adapter is recommended for optimal display color.
The display unit also uses 6 AA alkaline batteries. Not necessary but optional, and note as well that batteries are not included by manufacturer.
The power brick is approximately 1 1/4″ x 2 1/2 and sticks out about 1 1/2” from the wall. The power cord is also around 6 foot long.
Remote Sensor uses 4 AA alkaline batteries or if you choose, lithium* batteries. In colder climates it is highly recommended that you would use the lithium batteries. Lithium batteries work much better in colder climates. They also hold their power charge much longer than a conventional battery would.
This will allow you to spend less time changing the batteries, as well as less expense in the long run.
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries, 8 count
AcuRite 09150 AcuLink Internet Bridge: Monitor Temperature, Humidity and Weather Sensors
- Illuminated color display with auto-dimming brightness
- 12 to 24 hour weather forecast
- Patented Self-Calibrating Forecasting pulls data from a sensor in your backyard to give you the most accurate forecast for your exact location
- Weather Ticker™ streams real-time information and alerts
- Rain accumulation data recorded for today, over all-time, by year, by month, and by rainfall event; tracks days with rain this month, and days since last rain
- Wind speed: current, peak, and average (MPH or KPH)
- Wind direction with 16 point wind rose
- Indoor and outdoor temperature (degrees Fahrenheit and Celsius) with trend arrow
- Indoor and outdoor humidity (%RH) with trend arrow
- Heat index, wind chill, dew point and “feels like” calculations
- Weekly, monthly, and all-time high and low records
- Barometric pressure with trend arrow and manual calibration option
- Time and date (month/day)
- Tabletop or wall-mountable design
- Indicator for wireless sensor signal strength
- Can be set up on a shelf or desk top like a picture. not just have to hung up on wall mountable
limited one year warranty
Acurite 01512 Cons
- Software availability is not included in purchase
- Backlight only stays on for ten seconds when on battery power
- The backlight switch is not easy to reach
- Extra money must be spent to achieve any mobile tracking of information from sensors
- Self emptying rain rain gauge does always work properly
- Snow collects in rain gauge, and freezes
- Weather Ticker-you have no control over what is shown and when it is shown
- connection/transmission problems-please follow sensor placement suggestions
- Rain gauge fails to read when it is a light rain
- Rain gauge registers starting at a moderate rainfall amount
- Anemometer is too light-fails to register wind speed correctly See our artricle on anemometers for details
- Solar sensor doesn’t supply enough power to operate aspirating fan enough
- 90 day returns policy
- does not have the ability to display the daily max and min temperatures and max daily wind
As I spent time digesting all of the information on the AcuRite 01512 model, I was amazed at the similarities to the other model I have reviewed. This unit possesses all the great things that we loved about that display. This model has additional bells and whistles.
The added alerts, the added information provided on the weather ticker, plus the automatic emptying rain gauge more than make up for the additional cost of the unit. They add for added interest and fun in using this station.
We believe that this unit deserves a 4.5 star rating from us. It has all the Acurite features, and a big plus on the features. Now there is so much more information being provided. more to record, more to track, more to help you with understanding your daily climate elements.
The amazingly strong overall ratings are backed up by our research. This is a very solid station for the avid fan of daily climate elements. So if you consider yourself, a geek, an avid fan, an enthusiastic participant, or a long time admirer, we believe you would be very satisfied with this model.
But if you find yourself as a casual observer, a hurried seeker of daily weather information, or even, just a person who may need information for occasional special events.
If that is you, you would be wasting your money on this unit. You would be receiving way too many things to look at, too many things you don’t care about, or you just want a couple simple things provided.
In a nutshell a very solid choice for the informed person, who has a need for much information. We like to study and analyze this would be very enjoyable to us.
Acurite 01512 Price
This Acurite 01512, is very reasonably priced for the consumer. After looking at all of the features this model offers, I find that this would be a highly recommended purchase for the serious weather fan. I am talking about the person, who loves to look at what is going on outside all the time.
Many people talk about the daily weather in passing. Many do it as a topic of conversation, usually because they have nothing else to talk about. That is not the person I am talking about. I am referring to the person who loves to look at temperature data, wind speeds, and barometric pressure readings.
The person, who keeps daily records of all types of instrument readings. The person who will spend ten minutes analyzing a weather report. That is me. If that is you, you will love the AcuRite 01512.
But if you are looking for a display unit that provides time, temperature, a future forecast, and maybe the wind speed this model is not for you. The cost for all of the features wouldn’t be worth it to you. You do not need all of that information, nor would you ever use it.
We can recommend other stations for you that are much simpler, and very easy to use, plus they would be exactly what you were looking for at the price you would be fine with spending money for. These are two well received models we could recommend for the casual weather observer.
If you are the avid information seeker, and love to study wind speeds, wind directions, and find your self stuck looking at bad weather events, then you will very pleased with the Acurite 01512 as a choice to purchase.
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries, World’s Longest-Lasting, (8-Pack)AcuRite 01512 Pro Color Weather Station w/ Rain, Wind, Temp., Humidity & Weather TickerEnergizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries, World’s Longest-Lasting, 4 pack