Building Strong Support for the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2
The Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 personal weather station is a beautifully designed weather station. If you are keenly psyched by the weather this is YOUR equipment. After thoroughly looking this over in detail, it is definitely a must have.
So in looking in depth at this weather station, it is built with finely precisioned Davis weather instruments as well as it offers a flexibility that few other personal climate stations do not offer.
You can have your choice of how and what you hook up to the console. Add-ons are you may choose from the wireless as we are discussing, or you may purchase it with the ISS being wired. A list of the choices that are given to the vantage pro2 weather station console owner are the following.
This is definitely ranked in the upper range of personal weather stations for people to buy for themselves for home usage. With the ability to add or change some of the parts out you have more of a chance to make it what you want it to be.
Here is what I found and the areas I think are important to know about.
Professional wireless weather station with a versatile sensor suite. You can customize your Vantage Pro2 by adding consoles or the special-purpose options.
They have improved the design for even more accurate data in especially high winds! In fact last year during Hurricance Irma, a Davis weather station recorded the wind speed of 199 MPH on the island of St. Barts in Leeward Islands in the Caribbean.
Many different weather sensors: temperature, humidity, rain, wind with passive radiation shield in a rugged sensor suite — add optional UV and solar radiation sensor
It comes with a highly efficient & quality built anemometer-a 40-foot (12-meter) anemometer cable allows the anemometer to be mounted separately from the rain collector
It also includes a wireless versatile integrated sensor suite, console with backlit LCD screen
Please note the mounting pole/tripod not included in your purchase.
Did You Miss Something?
- Building Strong Support for the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2
- Instrument Sensors
- Types of Transmission
- Manufacturer Support for the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2
- Things to Know
- Consumer Ratings
- Davis Vantage Pro2 and Vantage Vue Features and Testing to Weather any Storm
The ISS Sensor (Integrated Sensor Suite) contains the following instruments. This is a solid selection to gather your local weather readings from. So the standard version of the ISS contains a rain collector, temperature sensor, humidity sensor and anemometer.
If you are looking at purchasing the Vantage Pro 2 Plus you will also have access to the following: a pre-installed solar radiation sensor and an ultra-violet (UV) radiation sensor. Temperature and humidity sensors are mounted in a passive radiation shield to minimize the impact of solar radiation on sensor readings.
The provided anemometer measures wind speed and direction and can be installed adjacent to the ISS
Also included in your purchase of the Vantage Pro2 stations include a 40′ (12 m) cable to go between the ISS and the anemometer. If you have more cable length as a need then it can be extended up to 540′ (165 m) using optional extension cables purchased from Davis Instruments.
The extension cables from Davis weather instruments can be used on the following parts of the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2 Integrated Sensor Suite, or the Vantage pro 2 sensor suite.
Adding cables can add versatility to your wired weather station from Davis instruments.
The ISS sensor unit is set up separately from the anemometer unit. The anemometer as was stated above needs to be hooked up by connection to the future.
Types of Transmission
Updates provided to the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2 console at the following intervals. These are being monitored constantly and are being sent to the console from the ISS Sensor remote units.
- Wind speed: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5 to 3 seconds
- Wind direction: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5 to 3 seconds
- Accumulated rainfall: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 to 24 seconds
- Rain rate: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 to 24 seconds
- Outside temperature: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 to 12 seconds
- Outside humidity: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50 seconds to 1 minute
- Ultraviolet radiation: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50 seconds to 1 minute
- Solar radiation: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50 seconds to 1 minute
The Console Display is full of weather information. With that in mind I thought it best to give you a picture of exactly what you are getting when you purchase this weather console from Davis instruments.
This unit has the ability to have different types of software be hooked up to it.
These are a couple of programs that can be used to transmit your data.
Vantage Connect® for Wireless Stations. For more information on this connecter you may go to vantage-connect-for-wireless-stations-cdma As this is a very expensive tool, I am mentioning it for those who have the means to look at something this high end on your investment list.
- A few features this connector provides are the following
- Automatic data uploads to WeatherLink.com
- Access your data on your computer or smartphone
- No subscription fee
- Get E-mail alerts
Manufacturer Support for the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2
The Console directions may be found here. The Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 Manual PDF by clicking here
- Phone Support:
(510) 732-7814– Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m. Pacific Time.
- (510) 670-0589– Fax to Technical Support
- E-mail Support: firstname.lastname@example.org– E-mail to Technical Support.
email@example.com– E-mail to Davis Instruments.
- Web Support:www.davisnet.com– Copies of User Manuals are available on this site
Things to Know
These are some of the things to know of this model which is also known as “the Davis Instruments 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2”. As you can see it has many on screen features which can be enjoyed as well as raw weather data is being produced 24 hours a day, which may be transmitted to collection sites like Weather Underground, and Weatherbug.
Some Other Interesting Things
This station has a console which is powered by 3 C-cell batteries as a backup. The main power is supplied by being plugged into your electrical source.
It comes with an AC/DC adapter for normal powering up. This display console does not recharge the batteries, so please be aware of this. Please use alkaline batteries in the console for longer working results.
It’s dimensions are the following:
- Console (with antenna) . . . . . . . . . . . 10.625″ x 6.125″ x 1.625″ (270 mmx 156 mm x 41 mm)
- Console (no antenna) . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.625″ x 6.125″ x 1.625″ (244 mm x156 mm x 41 mm)
- Display . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.94″ x 3.375″ (151 mm x 86 mm)
- The Console can be set up 5 different angles as a stand up console. The kickstand can be set up three different ways to allow 5 angles for viewingMay be set up as a wall display-you may hang up the console
- It has a Backlit Console screen for easier night time viewing
- It is versatile-you can add additional stations
- It’s accurate & customizable
- Davis concentrates on making the best reliable day in, day out performance weather instruments.
- Advanced rain collector
- 1 year limited warranty policy-to be free of defects in material and workmanship for one year from the date of original purchase. During the warranty period, we will either repair or replace the product free of charge. You can read the warranty here.
- It has a high quality anemometer
- The computer connection is outdated. It doesn’t have a built-in USB connection
- All of the software I have found to use with it is outmoded
- The console set up and display look outdated. The interface looks older
- Changing any settings is difficult without getting out the manual
- It doesn’t have an atomic clock
The purchasers of the Davis Instruments weather stations are a more involved weather person. They know much more about weather than the average person and they in turn expect a lot more from weather equipment. As a higher expectation they also expect to be buying high quality, highly reliable weather equipment.
The Model 6152 is a steady and sure weather station. It may look outdated, it may require extra outside purchases to accomplish some things you wish to do as well.
But looking at the overall picture, for the services it provides, and the built in quality, the investment while at first appearances may seem a bit pricey, if you dig deeper, you will find this is getting close to being that professional type of weather equipment you have always wanted.