La Crosse is a trusted name in the daily home forecasting world. If you are a middle to professional level weather person, La Crosse products are on your radar. The model 308-1414B is a weather station deserving of a review.
This model is very similar to the S88907 that we reviewed earlier on George Loves Weather. This one however does have a few things that are different about it. We plan on going through the entire station highlighting both the good and bad points.
We have found many similarities with the two models. Many of these we will list as an area of information but will link you to the other page (model S88907 ) to get the precise information. These areas have the identical information for the 308-1414B as well.
In a Hurry? >>> Get the La Crosse 308-1414B Station HERE!
Type of Instruments
La Crosse 308-1414BThermometer
- Relative Humidity
- Indoor temperature range: 32°F to 122°F (0°C to 50°C)
- Outdoor temperature range: -40°F to 140°F (-40°C to 60°C)
- Humidity range: 19% to 97% RH This information is different than the S88907 information. The S88907 shows the relative humidity with the range of 1%-99% relative humidity
I really don’t know why the sensors relative humidity is rated differently, since the units both use the same sensor, (supply number is the same). Possibly one is a newer part than the other, but with the same number.
Suggestions For Installing Sensor
These are suggestions for installing the remote sensor unit.
Be sure the remote sensor is mounted vertically
Mount the remote sensor on a north-facing wall or in any well shaded area. Under an eave or deck rail is preferred.
Both the 308-1414B and the S88907 use the same sensor (TX141TH-Bv2 remote outdoor sensor) as their instrument gathering tool.
Type of Transmission
- Wireless Transmission
- Over 300 ft. (91 meters)
- RF 433MHz (open air )
- Plan on actual 200 foot wireless transmission range with good conditions present. This is what realistically should work for you
La Crosse 308-1414B Display
The biggest difference between the 308-1414B and the S88907, we found was the display screen. The screen on this model is a bit bigger, and the layout is different that the other model. This model is a landscape type of display versus the S88907 display which is more a vertical upright display. As you continue to read the review of the La Crosse 308-1414B, it should be apparent what the differences are to you.
The differences are very obvious to the eye. Here are two screen shots. Upon examining these two shots you will see the difference as it is very apparent to your sight. You will probably make a quick decision on which setting is the one you are more comfortable with.
In my mind, the only reason to choose one over the other based on the layout is the location you have planned for the display. If you want to put it on the wall but have only limited space you might want the portrait layout so it fits better. If you have a larger wall space the other would take up more of that blank space.
All of the same features from the S88907 model are provided on the 308-1414B. Upon thorough examination you will find it is basically the same unit with just the presentation to the viewer being different.
You can go to the detailed description of these areas on the S89077 review page.
The same beautiful colored icons are present as well. The screen if you look at it is presented into three parts.
- The Left Hand part is for all of the outdoor features
- The Middle Section is for the forecasting section, the atomic clock as well as the snooze alarm and calendar (day/month)
- The Right Hand side is to feature all of the indoor features together
The temperature trending icons, and the temperature alarms are all used the same, and are presented in the same manner. Just where you look to find them is changed.
Something is Missing!
As we move further on in this review, another thing that is missing from the 308-1414B that the S88907 had is a Home Comfort display area-the interesting indoor humidity comfort setting gauge which shows you how comfortable your house is at the present time.
Further study shows the room comfort icons are determined by these factors.
In taking a peak at the indoor comfort icon on the display it will show you five different status readings.
- Too Humid-First Arrow colored Blue
- Humid-Second arrow colored Blue
- Good-Third Arrow colored Green
- Dry-Fourth Arrow colored Orange
- Too Dry- Fifth Arrow colored Orange
None of this is present on this model from La Crosse. Reasons for not being there could be that they wanted more space for the more important sensor readings and found this one to be least used.
Therefore as we continue on in the review, it seems it was not important enough to include. Rather, more display was provided space for the more important sensor displays. Thus a less cluttered look. We also believe the look as a landscape, presented as it is, is by far, more attractive to the La Crosse station fans.
LaCrosse Technology, Ltd
2830 S. 26th St.
La Crosse, WI 54601
Contact Support: 1-855-605-6888
Full Warranty Information found at: www.lacrossetechnology.com/warranty_info.pdf
La Crosse 308-1414B Dimensions
The 308-1414B dimensions are:
- Display unit:
- 8.34” Length
- 1.03” Width
- 5.48” Height
Remote Outdoor Sensor is:
- 1.57″ Length
- 0.79″ Width
- 5.12″ Height
The S88907 dimensions are:
- 6.1” Width
- 9.6” Height
- 1.06” Depth
Remote Outdoor Sensor is:
- 1.74″ Length
- .81″ Width
- 5.1″ Height
The La Crosse 308-1414B Station is powered with 3 “AAA” batteries. It also comes with an 5.0V AC power adapter which can be plugged into your electrical outlets. The adapter can be used as a 120 Volt electric. As I know it does not work with 110V, 127V, 220v or 230V or 240V or any other outside the USA power supplies.
Most customers use the supplied power AC adapter rather than deal with the start up process that you will have to go through if your battery power runs low and the unit shuts down.
The power cord for the AC Adapter is 3 feet long. The display unit requires 3 “AAA” Alkaline batteries for backup. Please note hear that the outdoor sensory unit is powered by 2 AA batteries.
It is suggested that these “AA” batteries would be Lithium batteries. The Lithium batteries will work at much lower outside temperatures than normal AA alkaline batteries, thus preventing remote sensor power outages.
This is something you will especially need to notice if you live in colder climates.
La Crosse 308-1414B Pros
- Outdoor temperature can be set in °F or °C
- Signal strength icon for sensor transmission
- Outdoor temperature trend indicator
- Outdoor temperature alerts (low/high)
- Outdoor humidity (%RH) with trend indicator
- Animated forecast icons
- Forecast tendency indicator
- 12/24 hr. atomic time & date (manual setting) for accurate time keeping
- Perpetual calendar (day/month/date)
- Indoor temperature displayed in either°F or°C
- Indoor temperature trend indicator
- Indoor temperature alerts (low/high)
- Indoor Humidity (%RH) with trend indicator
- Adjustable backlight (high/low/off)
- Heat index & dew point
- MIN/MAX temperature records (IN/OUT)
- Low battery icon for station & sensor
- Atomic reception indicator
- Time alarm with snooze
- May be mounted on a wall or it has a Kick stand type base, so it can be set up on a shelf or a desk surface
- The backlight fades out under AAA battery backup power. It only stays on when using the supplied power adapter. It fades quickly
- Some of the control buttons are on the top. In the S88907 model they were on the right side. Whether or not this is better to have the buttons [heat/dew, time/set, snooze/light (hi-low-off)] on the top as they are in this model or on the right side as they are on the other model
- Batteries are not included
- Weather icons have a tendency to jump around (motion)
- The display does not have a USB Port
- No software is provided with the station
- Unable to transmit data to a weather collection site, like Weather Underground
- Does not present a home comfort display gauge like other models
- Angle of view is difficult. Angles make it very hard to read properly
When looking at this model closer for this review, I was amazed at a couple of things. First the colored screen is a highly unlikely feature on a forecast display. Most of the screens are in black and many have a colored screen cover on the display. This allows the icons to appear to be colored.
A large problem with this if it look at the display from any kind of any angle the icons do not look colored. They look like they have a cover on them. Kind of ugly huh!
Another thing that really stood out to me is that the quality of the station does come into question at times. Many comments are had like “the first one was a gift, and after I received a replacement, the unit worked very well
Like many other products people, do not read the product description close enough. Proof, in the comment the unit was much smaller than I thought. The dimensions are given. Measure it out so that you are aware fully of the size you are dealing with.
If you truly research this product, understand all of it’s nuances. Like what it includes and what it doesn’t have, then you shouldn’t be surprised by the station being what it is.
With this in mind, we believe this makes a very nice weather station, for the casual observer of weather. It will add to your life each day.
For the “weather observer”, “weather geek”, “weather data collector”, this isn’t for you.
For those of you, who would like more instruments, more data, etc., this is too simple for you. Do not purchase, it isn’t the right fit for you.
For the busy person, who needs the temperature outside, the casual planner who needs an idea what tomorrow brings for weather this is for you.
If you are price conscious, we think that you will be very happy with everything you will receive, with this weather station from La Crosse. If you look at all of the features, weigh up the pros and cons, you would make the same decision we would. The purchase would be a very worthwhile one.
This weather station is a must buy for the weather novice. It would make a fantastic value packed entry level purchase. It is easy to install, and it has enough weather information for a casual observer, to enjoy, and to use for their everyday life.
We personally like the enlarged display screen, and the cleaner look this model brings to you. The cons are definitely present, but the pros outweigh them in what is important to you.
The La Crosse 308-1414B is an improvement on the S88907, which we highly recommended in another review. So if you improve on something good you have a winner.
Do your homework, and we believe this would be a very nice, and solid choice for you. Enjoy your new Weather Station.