Review of the Kestrel 3500 Pocket Weather Meter
The workload for the Kestrel 3500 pocket weather meter covers much territory. Whether you are a scientist on an exploratory trip, or a policeman out doing your daily job, you will find this weather tool to be of major benefit to you.
Instruments Of the Kestrel 3500 Pocket Weather Meter
- Rain Gauge
- Relative Humidity
How the Measurements are calculated
1. Wind Speed-This will be the average over the previous three seconds. The reading will be accurate for the airflow either through the front or rear of the unit.
2. Maximum Wind Gust-This reading will be the average of the last three wind speeds registered since the unit was turned on.
3. Temperature-This is the reading from the thermistor, which is located at the end of the coiled leads (in the open cavity) below where the impeller is located.
In order to get the quickest response, either wave the unit back and forth lightly or face it in the wind. This will get you a quick reading.
You may also get water and snow temperatures because the unit will allow you (it is waterproof) to submerge it into either the water or the snow.
4. Wind Chill-As defined by the US National weather service, is the combination of temperature coupled with wind velocity that will get you a feels like Wind Chill reading. This is calculated by the unit as the same temperature if either the temperature is 45 degrees or above, and if the wind is below 3 mph. Either Way
5. Relative Humidity- this is defined by the national weather service and meteorologists as “the amount of moisture in the air compared to the amount of moisture the air can hold for the given temperature, represented as a percent”.
This reading should be taken in the shade. The response time will depend on how quickly you are getting the temperature reading.
6. Heat Stress- the combo of higher temperature and the present humidity.
– a combination of temperature and humidity. Anything below 75 degrees will just be the temperature that is currently present.
7. Dew Point- in understanding this always remember this information: If the temperature and dew-point are the same, dew will form. If this happens below freezing frost will form.
You can be assured that if the dew-point is very close to the temperature then know that it is humid out right now. This is calculated by mixing the relation of air temperature with the humidity measurement.
8. Wet Bulb Temperature- this is not a widely known reading. It is a mixture of temperature and humidity levels. It deals with the evaporation rate present currently.
Know this, if the wet-bulb temperature is very close to the air temperature, the air is humid.
This instrument will measure the following environmental conditions:
• wind speed
• heat stress index
• maximum wind gust
• dew point
• average wind speed
• wet bulb temperature
• temperature (air, water, snow)
• barometric pressure
• wind chill
• relative humidity
Every Kestrel is designed and manufactured at NK’s (Nielsen-Kellerman) facility in Boothwyn, Pennsylvania Near Philadelphia, Pa.
The address for Nielsen-Kellerman is
21 Creek Circle, Boothwyn, PA 19061
Phone: (610) 447-1555
Fax: (610) 447-1577
replacement parts such as the impellor are readily purchased by going here, Kestrel Replacement Impeller for/All Kestrel Models
• 3-hour pressure trend
• data hold function
• automatic power-down function
• waterproof and
The actual size of this tool is 4.8 x 1.9 x 1.1 in.
It weighs 3.6 oz.
Use only new CR2032 coin cell batteries. Wipe the battery clean of any fingerprints and insert the positive (+) pole up, angling the battery downward and pressing it firmly into place. You can get up to 300 hours of use from one battery. These are not the easiest batteries to find around. Amazon does stock them HERE.
Model 3500 NV has night vision
Can be used by gun owners to help with wind deflection. Can improve accuracy when shooting from long range
Fully waterproof and has passed mil-spec drop testing
Cover offers good protection for the unit
A small package but a powerful versatile weather meter.
Does not have the Night Vision. Night Vision is only on the 3500 NV model
Does not have logging data capabilities you have to cycle through all the different variables, one at a time
Does not have the ability to set up temperature alerts
Customers have openly offered that Kestrel offers very good phone support. It is quick, responsive, and accurate in getting your problem solved. They come highly recommended for all of their product lines. This model isn’t any different. It is currently looking at a 4.7-star rating on Amazon as an example.
That is really impressive in the sense that the 4.7-star review rating is out of a 5.0 for the perfect rating.
They are very accurate, and with the support that is offered purchasing a Kestrel 3500 would be very difficult to beat. Top of the line for a weather meter of the pocket variety. It does fit very well in a pocket too.
Customers look at the cost as either an investment or an expense. In this case, it is an investment in your purchase. The quality is unmatched in the market. The support is top of the line and the service provided by the product is excellent as well.
It is built to last. When you compare the quality difference of the Kestrel compared to competitors the Kestrel faces. The quality difference far exceeds any price differences you may find in the market currently.
A market competitive price and better than built-in quality. A market advantage for them.
George is a big fan of the weather. He has enjoyed for years observing all types of weather in several places he has lived. He shares his love by doing reviews of personal weather stations and discussing several key elements that are related to using weather stations.